Re: Glass Sparks

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I've made Lichtenberg figures with 1/8" plexi sheets. I took two 12x18 sheets and taped them together. I then then drilled a small hole to support them with fishline above the coil. I sandwiched the 12 ga spike terminal between the sheets and applied power. The short streamers started spread out and grow, burning tracks in the plexi. They're not as beautiful as the accelerator made ones, but still look kinda neat. Use a grounding stick to change paths so they don't burn too deep.

David E Weiss

Original poster: Chris Rutherford <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Sabastian,

I also have experimented with glass, I used a stainless steal sphere as
a top load.  I stood a small piece of copper wire upright on top of the
sphere by twisting a loop in to the wire at the bottom to stand it on.
I then placed a glass jar over the top of the wire, and then stood
another piece of wire on top of the glass jar.  You will see the ark
jumping out the top of he bottom wire, in to the bottom/top of the glass
jar and in to the 2nd wire and then out in to the air.  Most
interesting.  I have considered the reasons for the strange happenings,
as the glass cant possible be conducting as it would break down first as
in salt water/glass capacitors.  I thing you must be right with your
capacitive model.

Thanks

Chris R