Re: Beginner Q's

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

DAVID; WHEN I MAKE CAPACITORS I FIRST CUT MY ALUMINUM flashing on a paper
cutter. Aluminul dosent hurt the cutter. I punch connection holes in the end
of each plate with a paper punch and trim off all sharp corners, I take one
plate and roll 12 turns of 4 mill bag stock around my first plate positioned
so the hole in the plate is located near one open edge. That is 24 layers of
plastic. I then place a plate with its hole at the opisit edga, turn it 1/2
turn and place a third plate and add 12 more turns of plastic.That is 1
plate down and 2 plates up with 12 turns ( 24 layers) of plastic between
each. I continue untill the capacitor is 1-1/2 inch thich and add 12 l
turns to the outside and tigh it tight with nylon string.  I use 1" x 12"
ctraps with aluminum pop rivets and 2 washers as spacers between each plate.
My 1" pop rovets connest to half of the plates so I have two straps out of
each end to carry the current My plates are 2" shorter than the width of the
plastic to prevevt any arcing between the plates.
 at the ends of the roll. The capacitance is 1/4 my neads so it takes 4
roles in parellel. I then find a plastic container with a lid to hold it
all. after I shape all my straps out of each end of my container I punch a
hole in a common point for connection to provide two sets of paralolel
plates for use. I do not punch the last holes untill everything is
positioned because stacked capacitors don't meet at the same strap length
point. After all is set I then add mineral oil, about 1-1/2 gall from the
local feed store. DO NOT make it presure tight.as you use the capacitor the
oil out gass. I have used my capacvitors for 5 years of heavy use with no
problem. They work better than my commercial capacitors. but they are bulkey
and rrequire czre to avoid oil spills. My capacitors are 10" x 6" plates
with 12" bag stock. Mu students make smaller capacitors and use coco cans to
hold them. None of us have had any problems. with 4" to 12" dia coils.
      Robert   H