From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SIZE of RF chokes?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:38:59 -0700

Hi JT,

Excessively high voltage is what usually kills NSTs. Use LTR cap value to avoid resonant charging and a properly set safety gap to avoid these high voltages. Yes 140Vac will probably shorten the life of an NST to some extent. If you have a properly set safety gap and an LTR cap value, you probably shouldn't worry about this too much as you wont enjoy the hobby as much. I run my 15 KV (21 KVpeak) NST's at 25 KVpeak with a SRSG and haven't lost one yet.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok thanks, but i dont know how to do that, except for rewiring my variac to 140 VAC. Any other ways.

**but, wont this further decrease the life of your transformer?