Re : outdoor coils

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx

>Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

>Lets hear more about coils in cold conditions. I live in Wisconsin.
>It's going to get down in the teens tonight. This'll be the first
>winter my coils see. Will my coils survive? One is PVC coated with
>glyptal, then wound and polyurethaned. Other is acrylic wound and
>coated the same. Third isn't wound, but fiberglass coated in glyptal.

Hi Mike.

I live up in northern California, right near Mt Shasta and at times
it gets down right nippy here. The first coils I made were coated
with glyptal and I stored a few out in the garage in winter time. It
didn't seem to matter what type material I used for the coil form as
the glyptal never had a problem. Later on I switched to a two part
epoxy coating called "Envirotex Lite" simply for aesthetic reasons.
This material didn't like the extreme cold vary well and pulled away
from PVC forms quite easily. However My only acrylic coil has not had
any problems to date with the epoxy coating. I think the two
materials are similar enough chemically not to have this problem. But
now a days I have a winter time policy to always store My coils
indoors during winter time.  ;-) Happy coiling!

---- Matt Cortner ----