Re: power transformers efficiency

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 11:04 19/11/05 -0700, you wrote:
there is no any resonant charging in my psu, coz i hate any resonances
in psu

Your design is a DC resonant charging system, just with no filter capacitor on the HV DC bus. Since you are firing at 100bps, you don't need the filter capacitor. You are right, there should be no charging resonances (they are de-Q'd by the diodes) so it's probably wrong to call it DC "resonant".

hey, Steve - i don`t claim anything - i even don`t have a coil yet!

I wasn't referring to anything you had written, but Malcolm's claim for huge sparks from 135 watts :-) It's a classic example of how a coil can draw more than you think it should.

i just ask you, who have coils, what`s wrong in my ideas.

I can't see anything wrong with any of the designs you posted. The power supply looks fine, and I don't know the answers to any of the questions you asked on output voltage and spark propagation.

 really - let`s imagine that my coil will draw _only_ 1.5 times more
than i assumed - 3kw instead of 2kw. it  means, that 1kw would be
wasted into heating the transformers and inductors?

No, it could mean that the bang energy is 1.5 times bigger than you thought, or the break rate is 1.5 times faster. That is what happened in Malcolm's old coil- the breakrate was 4 times faster than he assumed, so it was processing about 4 times more power.

A static gap just makes a hissing sound and it's hard to tell by ear what the breakrate really is. With a rotary gap, the breakrate is always correct, but it's still possible for the voltage to resonate higher than you expect, making the bang energy bigger. IIRC, Gerry Reynolds has documented how this happens in the case of an NST going into ferroresonance.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/