From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SIZE of RF chokes? Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:27:16 -0700

Toss the chokes and add about 1000 ohm 100 watt resisters (one in each leg). Chokes use to be used but it has been shown that they can cause more problems than they solve due to parasitic resonances. You may want to search the archieves for the "Terry Filter" to properly protect your NST. Also LTR operation is recommended for NST's (1.6*Cres for static spark gaps and 2.8*Cres for SRSGs)

Gerry R.

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have read .1 to .3 millihenries.
On one of your threads, I just read .03 millihenries (30 micro)

PLEASE tell me- are my choke the right size.

-I have a 12,000 30ma neon, 60Hz
-Close to resonant capacitor (supposed to be 6.66nF, but its 7.8nF)

* My chokes currently are set up on BOTH sides of my HV circuit (both outputs of xformer)
* Each choke measures 7.4uH
* Both chokes are 80 turns of 19gauge wire, on an aircore form, .25 X 1.5" long

USING THIS...RANDOM..INFORMATION, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT SIZE OF CHOKES I NEED, AND ARE MINE THE RIGHT SIZE ALREADY.
Plus: my safety gap fires frequently, but not too much. When it fires it becomes the sparkgap.
*So, should i make a SECOND safety gap after the first?
*Or, is it ok to fire as the sparkgap. In otherwords, when it acts as sparkgap, will overvoltage occur in my neon?

my safety sircuit is set up as:

transformer - connects to safety gap - connects to 7.4uH air chokes on both sides - rest of circuit

I KNOW I TYPED A LOT, BUT I NEED PEOPLE TO ANSWER ALL, OR MOST OF MY QUESTIONS. PLEASE ANSWER MY WHOLE EMAIL.

Thanks.

_