Re: Oudin Coil Design

Use micalex for the mica.

Dr. Resonance

I am trying to duplicate a very old (horizontal) design Tesla coil, which was featured in "High Frequency Apparatus" by Thomas Stanley Curtis, 1916. This was referred to as a Tesla coil because the primary and secondary windings are in a horizontal orientation. while what we would normally describe as a Tesla Coil (vertical form) was referred to as an Oudin Coil. The coil used a constructed HV transformer rated 5000 volts, 100 ma. 3 glass plate caps connected in parallel for a total of .03 mfd and straight static gap. Each half of the primary consists of 4 turns of edge-wound 1/2-inch copper bar, 7-1/2 inch in ID. Each secondary is 6-inches in diameter, 8-inches long, with 400 turns of #30 DCC copper wire.
Question: The author does not stipulate if the primaries and secondaries are wound in-phase or out of phase. In other words if the right-hand primary and secondary are wound clock-wise, should the left-hand coils be wound counter-clock-wise?
How can I duplicate an edge-wound primary. Is some special jig or fixture required? Can this be done in a home shop?
An optional Telefunken quenched gap is suggested. This used copper disks separated by mica washers approx. 6 inches OD and 4-1/2 inches ID.
Can some one suggest a source of these washers? Is there a modern substitute for mica?
Thanks,
FJA