Re: primary angle

Hi Daniel,

The coupling is determined by the proximity of the coils. All primary configurations (flat, cone, helix) work fine if geometrically built to provide suitable coupling. Flat primary's are easy to build and are the least sensitive to build errors (human errors due to not thinking everything through). Low angle conical coils are also pretty tame. As the angle is increased, the coil may become very sensitive to coupling depending on the distance from the secondary. Keep in mind that all primary configurations can also be built so that you never reach a desired coupling value. These days, it's just easy to calc the configuration keeping in mind standoff voltage and coupling. I know some primary's are preferred due to cosmetics and is sometimes the driving force in the choice.

I like to think of coupling as analogous to sitting in front of a campfire. There's a distance at which the heat is "comfortable". Anything else is too hot or too cold. This is true for the little guy or the big guy. They both have their own "setting".

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Langer Giv'r" <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, does the angle of the primary affect the coupling? I have my primary set at 40 degrees to horizontal becuase it was the easyest to wind that way. What should I do if angle is to high? thanks for input

Daniel From Canada

_