Re: Toroid ballast design

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I dont know where these cores saturate and if 24600 gauss is no problem, the fewer number of turns will mean less winding loss.

I've heard that 17000 gauss is about where transformer iron starts to saturate. Commercial transformer designs seem to aim for about this 17kG peak figure. 24600 seems a bit "Out there" :-o

One handy rule of thumb I heard when designing gapped ballasts is that gapping the core doesn't change the volt-second capability. (To a first order at least.) So the number of turns you need to avoid saturation is the same as for an ungapped transformer. Hence a good starting point with a gapped variac core would be "The same number of turns as the variac had".

I guess with two stacked cores, you only need half the number of turns, or is it 1/sqrt(2)?

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/