Re: coax cable , blumlein, etc.

Hi Malcolm,

I thought I accidentally deleted this post, but fortunately I found it. I presume the excessive voltage was at the safety gap???

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The "safety" gap was set wide - about 20% wider than the main gap,
the sparks were jumping with ease and there were plenty of them. The
energy was low indicating that the primary cap was not the source -
it was effectively shunted by the main gap. I've no doubt residual
energy in the transformer was a contributor but the gap firing was
generating frequencies that were bringing things into the
transmission line realm.

How wide was the safety gap setting and where was it relative to the main gap and the coax and at what end???

I did have an RC filter of sorts at the main gap. The resistors were
wirewound 25W types so they were inductive to a degree. However, the
lines would have been contributing considerably more inductance.

Can you describe where the R and C in the filter were in the filter and what values they were???

Any idea what the overvoltage frequency was and the resonate frequency of the TC??
Also an estimate of the coax length??

Thankyou
Gerry R.