Re: LTR vs. STR for pigs was Re: PFC Question

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Dmitry

>  > first - as far as i remember Greg Leyh said something like "the
>  > longest streamers with my coil  were achieved at bps around 300".

> Right, perhaps he got super streamers at 300bps, but was it more
> efficient (spark length vs input power) at say 100bps?  Im guessing so

i think only god and GL knows %-)
but what`s common here with the effectiveness - if it`s the goal of all
"garage coilers"? NO! sparks must look great, so as i said - we don`t
need high energies at all :p
btw - my 20j mmc has only 52 caps and costs about 130$, so i guess 50j
it`s absolutely not a problem, the  problem is that i have no place
even for the 20j %-)))

>  > well - just everything has its limits - when decreasing the bps lower
>  > than 70, the efficiency also falls visibly - even at enormous energy.
>  >

> Yes, definately.  It seems that with bigger coils you might be able to
> operate efficiently below 70bps.  This is something ive been wanting
> to experiment with, but you need a BIG coil to really see the effect i
> think.

Marco has the big coil in some meaning, and his coil is dc one, so?

> I have also attempted to cut my bang energy by some amount (say
> 35-50%) and increase the break rate to again get the same Freau
> number.  It just doesnt work for me.

have you tried to change the toroid to get the same voltage as it was
at the 120 bps?

-----
The solution to no primary hits lay in getting rid of the primary!
This is no joke either.
20-06-96 (c) Richard Hull, TCBOR