Re: 60A Variac on Ebay

Hi Skip,

You wrote:

David,
an additional problem you may have is that you can not directly connect two or more Variacs since their output voltages will never be exactly the same. They will be fighting each other. Are you REALLY driving a transformer that NEEDS 84 Amps at 240 Volts?

Well, actually yes ;^) I have a 15 kVa pig, but my newest ballast
allows me to draw upwards of 100 amps from a 240 volt supply!
I don't run it that "hot" very long at a time but I can draw that
kind of power. You can see the coil at: http://dawntreader.net/hvgroup/david/gm.html
I need to update the page to show my newest big bad
ballast as it's not on there yet. Also, I also use my ballasted
output from the control panel to drive a BAD Jacob's ladder
that needs this kind of power.

That would be an incredible Tesla coil. Do you really need 20 KVA? There is a way to parallel two Variacs that is just a center tapped inductor of appropriate current rating. You would then need a second inductor to put together three Variacs. After doing the paralleling inductor thing, I would do the limiting resistor thing and the relay or contactor if you still have a problem. Before you do these things, be sure of how much current you really need.

There seems to be conflicting info out there as to the need for paralleling chokes in coils. Some say that they're really not needed for Tesla coils as long as they're of the same brand and type of variac. My twin 1256Ds have one already with them.

Happy coiling,
Skip

David Reieben