Re: Thinking About A Geiger Counter

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

> "Any thoughts would be great." How about the paper stuff that is used
> in taking x-rays of people?
   Its film.  Photographic film.  (tho i guess paper (prin ting paper)
   could be used.
   trick is to get some way of calibrating the change of
   optical density,.  And it needs processing, a whole
   bunch of chemistryr (hint: I used to do it: film developing,
   tho not for rad safety, as such.)

> It would change color in the presence of
> x-rays, or at least that is what i would think.
   Sort of.  It has to be 'developed' with chemicals, then
   'fixed' then the optical density checked.  'film badges'
   were (are?) a routine exposure monitoring tool on radiation
   safety work: however 'processing' and 'calibrating' the
   resultant change in optical density, in a useful way, is
   is somewhat complex.

   Its more complex than 'red for danger'.

   (additionally: 'film', too, can have stray reaction to
   High Voltage, independent  of xrays/particles/  Such
   reactions are not likely to be a a real problem, but
   can complicate things.)

    best
     dwp