RE: Thinking About A Geiger Counter

At 07:49 AM 11/12/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This would work but there are several issues.

The paper is not very sensitive.

There is a time lag between the exposure and developing it -- if your
Geiger Counter starts going nuts, you hit the power switch or get the
hell out of the area.

With the paper, you will have the appreciation of knowing that you
absorbed a significant hit of radiation and can do nothing about it.

But, unless you took something like 200+ REM, you'll have plenty of time to put your affairs in order, etc.

As I understand it, film badges are more to provide good estimates of exposure for folks who are exposed occupationally. There being various and sundry rules about how many REM/year you can take (5 or 10, as I recall), it helps to know that you've burned up 50% of your annual allocation in the first month.

And, in the event of a big unexpected problem, the badges allow reconstruction of the dose for use in later treatment.