Re: Thinking About A Geiger Counter

Original poster: Rich Simpson <richcreations@xxxxxxxxx>

On Nov 11, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Blake Hartley <teslaspud@xxxxxxxxx>

"Any thoughts would be great." How about the paper stuff that is
used in taking x-rays of people? It would change color in the
presence of x-rays, or at least that is what i would think.

I am fairly sure that is a photographic/chemical developed process, might be a little expensive... -Rich

Blake

On 11/7/05, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones"
<<mailto:a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <<mailto:m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
snip.
>  >
>  > I very well know that high voltages striking objects is
something that
>  > creates X-RAYS.  My intended meaning is that Geiger counters
count
>  > particles, not x-rays or other radiated energy.
>  >
>  > Skip
>
> Sorry, not true. They detect gamma rays with ease. In fact the
clicks
> you get from background radiation are mostly if not all, gamma rays.
> When I built mine, the first measurements I took were of gamma rays
> leaking out of a supposedly radiation proof locker with some Cs-137
> samples inside.
>
> Malcolm

snip

More specifically Geiger counters detect ionizing particles/radiation
(photons i.e. UV light x-rays gamma rays) that have sufficient
penetrating
power to get in to the tube and ionize the gas it contains.
They can probably detect neutral particles too via nuclear
reactions which
create ionizing particles/radiation but with a very very  little
(negligible) efficiency.

As has already been pointed out x-rays are generated when
electrons, of
sufficient velocity strike not only a solid object but a gas or for
that
matter a liquid.

R A Jones