Re: PFC Question

"It has often been said that the inductance of the variac (that changes with setting) causes the phase of the charging waveform to change with setting. I have personally experienced this phase change with variac setting and assume that it is due to the variac inductance vs setting.
What is needed here is to measure the phase of the variac output wrt the phase of the input of the variac to put things into perspective. Your estimate of 1mh of leakage inductance is based on a coupling of 0.99.
This coupling seems high to me. If the coupling is say 0.95, the leakage inductance may be significant enough to cause the output phase shift. I have disassembled a variac of old design and found the the area of actual core to be much less than the area of the winding. It would not surprise me to find the coupling to be less than 0.99."

I have never understood why saturation isn't a factor in using an ungapped variac in series with a load. When the brush is set to full voltage position the series reactance would be equal to the magnetizing reactance and would be quite high. Since the core is sized for the nominal operating voltage at any brush setting much less than 100% that I would expect to see saturation currents becoming significant. An easy check on the leakage impedance would be to short the two ends of the winding and run say about 1 amp (100 watt bulb in series across 120V line) and measure the voltage drop between the brush and the shorted ends for different brush positions. Why don't you do that and publish the results here? Only a few minutes work.

Ed