Re: LTR vs. STR for pigs was Re: PFC Question

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  > and why do we need high energies at all? give me at
>  > least one example
>  > when this helped to substantially exceed 1.7sqrt.

> In order to get 1.7*sqrt(p) you need a bang energy big
> enough such that you can deliver p watts at 120bps. As
> long as you operate at 120bps, you get a "Freau
> factor" of about 1.7. If you go below 120bps, you get
> more than 1.7, if you go higher, you get less.

first - as far as i remember Greg Leyh said something like "the
longest streamers with my coil  were achieved at bps around 300".
second - if my memory serves me well, John Freay said, that while
increasing bps from 120 till 240, the streamers length if not
increasing, then at least not decreasing/visibly  decreasing. so the
energy can be decreased minimum in 2 times. and the last - you didn`t
compare the same secondary 120 vs 240 at the same power and _equal_
voltage at the toroid, did you?

> So, using a low energy at a high repetition rate is
> not as efficient as a high energy at a low rep rate.

well - just everything has its limits - when decreasing the bps lower
than 70, the efficiency also falls visibly - even at enormous energy.

> My 400bps coils get about 1.3 to 1.4.

how about "other" Steve?
"Steve from other side" - halloo %-)

p.s.

as for the "freau number" - reading the archives i found the
absolutely champion of all times - of  course it`s Malcolm Watts:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1996/may/msg00090.html

"The coil I fire at work has been putting out 4+ footers with a PRF of
100 (1/mains half cycle) on just 1.25 Joules per pulse (about a third
of what I had previously thought)."

4.29+
yeah, you don`t need any mega-joules - you just have to be a
mega-coiler :-D
so you guys all suck again :-)))

-----
The solution to no primary hits lay in getting rid of the primary!
This is no joke either.
20-06-96 (c) Richard Hull, TCBOR