Re: coax cable , blumlein, etc.

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

On 8 Nov 2005, at 21:39, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Do you have any detail of your experience like.
>
> 1. Where were the enormous voltages and how high do you estimate they
> were??

The "safety" gap was set wide - about 20% wider than the main gap,
the sparks were jumping with ease and there were plenty of them. The
energy was low indicating that the primary cap was not the source -
it was effectively shunted by the main gap. I've no doubt residual
energy in the transformer was a contributor but the gap firing was
generating frequencies that were bringing things into the
transmission line realm.

 2. Did you have any terminations in your cable?? series
> resistance at the SG end, or RC to ground termination at the
> transformer end??

I did have an RC filter of sorts at the main gap. The resistors were
wirewound 25W types so they were inductive to a degree. However, the
lines would have been contributing considerably more inductance.

3. What kind of transformer died??

It was a 12kV/60mA NST - standard.

 4. What do you
> think the mechanism was??

I think the system between the main gap and transformer was behaving
like an unterminated line. Poor to no matching termination. I didn't
repeat the expt for the benefit of the scope. Too poor.

Malcolm