Re: GFI-ed NSTs

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/5/05 9:13:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> PS. You can use GFI transformers for Tesla coil duty, who ever said
> they wouldn't work in a tank circuit never bothered to TRY IT!!!!
> There is no reason to freak out and go nutz on ebay for a NST with
> out a GFI circuit!

I got two 15/25's for cheap on Ebay. ACTown, GFI, new in box. Wouldn't even run a Jacob's ladder until I opened the case and hard-wired the "test/GFI overide" button. Even then, they won't run my 4" coil.
Admittedly, I've only tried them with the secondaries paralleled. I wonder if somehow this may be making things worse. Also heard a good line filter on the 110 into them can allow them to run a TC.
Potted in soft material that hardens when heated, so without a road map I'm not keen on de-potting them.
Good enough reason for me to go back to Ebay and get a 15/60 non-GFI.

-Phil LaBudde