Re: Maxwell

At 10:50 AM 11/4/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxx>

Rich,

As far as I know, all the 31xxx caps were rated at 1 PPS.  Now, there are
several ratings to consider, the first being voltage.  If you are
seriously underrating the voltage (like a 12 kV NST on that cap) you
shouldn't have too much of a problem running it at 120 bps, say.  Just be
careful of heating, and don't make your primary too small (lower
inductance and higher peak current).

A lot more to it than voltage. Take a look at http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/caplife.htm for the equations. You also need to consider reversal and power dissipation. Aside from electrical and mechanical stresses (the voltage and reversal) you also need to worry about the internal temperature.

FWIW, I got some Maxwell spec sheets a while back from someone on the
TCML, and I've put them on my webserver: http://64.198.215.215/maxwell/
NOW, I'd appreciate it if everyone didn't just go download those for the
heck of it, 'cause I have a limited BW - 600 MB daily.  Thanks!

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL