Re: Maxwell

Hi Rich,

I think that most of the 31xxx series of Maxwell caps are rated for like one pulse per second (1 pps) which
is a much slower rate than a Tesla coil. However,
I believe the pps rating is also given at the rated
max voltage rating. With yours rated at 100 kV
and your probable planned use of <20 kVAC
in your Tesla primary circuit, you could probably get away with using this cap in a Tesla coil since,
as you said, you'd be keeping the runs relatively
short with low duty cycle.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:59 PM Subject: Maxwell

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>
I have come across a Maxwell capacitor and I can not find out if it would be OK for coil use. The label says type "31242", it is
.15uF, .02uH 100Kv , in a long plastic case. I don't want to blow it up if it is not suitable. It would only be used for short runs.
Rich