Re: Distilled water as a dielectric?

Original poster: Greg Morris <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>

Alright, thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Any suggestions on what I should use for a dielectric, that would be cheap, easily obtained and work well? How big do parallel plate caps usually have to be anyway? Has anyone here made any?

On 5/31/05, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: dave pierson <<mailto:davep@xxxxxxxx>davep@xxxxxxxx>

>The problem is that it is hard to make deionised water stay
>deionised.  Once you put ordinary metal contacts in the water and pass a
>current you start to get ions.  There are dissolved gases such as CO2 that
>dissociate into H+ and HCO3- that can combine with metals.
>In some casual HV experiments with deionised water open to the air the
>conductivity increased over a day or two.

Just so.
I've mentioned visiting the HVDC power inverter: they chop MW of +/-500KVDC
back to AC for the net (including some of what i use to send
this....). The
main insulator/cooler is 99.999ifergethowmany9s water. The
purifier/deionizer runs
constantly stripping the stray ions back out...

    best
       dwp