Re: Seibt: Visualizing Standing Waves on a Resonator by Corona

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Binny" <binny@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Oky I know it has been said before but it is worth repeating this expirement is utterly fascinating.There is one thing that kind of bothers me though about the result is that the corona wires are very small and could vibrate within the electromagnetic field in such a way so as to resonate mechanically like a guitar string.I think it is possible that this could explain the standing wavelike phenomena that you see.I would like to see the same experiment done with a dampened corona wire to exclude that possibility and or a heavy gauge corona wire well supported so as to eliminate the possibility of any mechanical vibration.

The wires would not vibrate at hundreds of kHz... How critical is the tuning? What happens when the system is out of tune? I imagine that the effect appears and disappears gradually, as it is caused by a series of "bangs" producing always the same waveform on the coils. A similar effect can be observed at higher frequencies too. See the classical experiment of the "Lecher wires". With enough voltage for excitation (connect the wires in parallel with spark gap), the effect appears as corona across the wires.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz