Re: transmission lines from transformer /was: First Light HELP

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> You could also get a voltage doubling from having two transmission lines
and
> just having one discharged at the "wrong" time relative to the other
(which
> could be the result of the rotary gap firing).  This is the classic
Blumlein
> doubler (you have two equal length transmission lines charged in parallel
> and you discharge just one.  The reflected wave comes back at -V, so
you've
> got double voltage relative to the other one, still at +V.  Sort of like
two
> capacitors charged in parallel and effectively discharged in series.. like
> Marx scheme, except with traveling waves).

If the SG is across the two lines how can one be shorted and not the other?

If one is shorted and not the other I would expect its voltage to reverse at
the transformer end so it would be approximately be the same polarity as the
other transformer output because they start oppositely charged.

(not necessarily directed to Jim) If the SG shorts the lines together and
the lines are the same length how is there any Balum effect ?
I don't suggest that the extra voltage does not occur I am just trying to
understand the proposed mechanism.  Years ago when I did not know any
better I lashed up a small Tesla coil and used a long inductor in the HV
lead as a filter.  At one point I got longer sparks from the centre of the
inductor than I got from the secondary!!!! I should also add that I probably
had the C directly across the HV and not the spark gap. It was a long time
ago.

Robert (R. A.) Jones A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl 407 649 6400