"Background Impedance of Universe"

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

There's talk about impedance and I have one question I've always wanted an answer to, and I bet someone here knows it ...

I was at a convention and ended up in a lunchtime discussion about the B-2 bomber. One person said, "The impedance across the wingspan is 133 ohms". Another nodded and said, "That's because that is the background impedance of the universe."

    To this day I don't understand this. Help?

[And I have been told in no uncertain times that the figure of 133 ohms is wrong.]

This relates to TC's in that, well, what is the impedance match from a toroid out into the air? Does it help a coil to operate to attempt a match? How on earth does one do that?

If you feel like responding directly to my mailbox, that's fine ... [davetracer a t aol dot com]

    -- thank you,

    Dave