Re: good scopes for coiling

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 17 May 2005, at 11:45, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mercurus2000" <mercurus2000@xxxxxxx>
>
> So there is no electronic way of measuring the resonance of a
> secondary without complicated or expensive electronics? ----- Original
> Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To:
> <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:59 PM Subject: Re:
> good scopes for coiling

I'm sure a way can be devised that doesn't require use of an
oscilloscope and sniffer probe although that is probably the best
option. Connecting a signal generator which can supply some current
(a buffered 555 e.g.) to the secondary base in series with a resistor
would allow monitoring of current through the resistor with a LED in
parallel by sensing the voltage across it. That will interfere to a
far lesser degree with correct operation of the secondary. I see no
reason why it shouldn't work although you can probably expect several
lesser peaks besides the fundamental. In my experience, monitoring
base current and finding the peak doesn't coincide exactly with
maximum Vs although it gets close.

Malcolm