Re: Very Confused On Grounding

Original poster: "Daniel Koll" <dk_spl_audio@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It's a modified sine wave, oh well. I will just do what I said and not use mains ground at all and have the NST case floating. I think that will be the safest way for my houses equipment. Thanks

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Very Confused On Grounding
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:37:51 -0600

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxx>

Be careful with the inverter type.  If it's not a true sine wave output, I
wouldn't use it on an NST, or any other transformer.  There are a lot of
harmonics there, even for the "modified" sine wave ones.  The harmonics
will cause a lot of core heating as well as a "spiky" HV out.

As far as the battery floating at the 120v output, it shouldn't in a
typical inverter, that's more likely in a UPS where the battery is
contained.  In any inverter designed for a car, the ground and neutral
should be connected to the negative of the battery.  Newer inverters (the
small, lightweight ones) that have a modified sine wave output use a high
frequency and a ferrite core for the stepup transformer and then rectify
the HF AC and use additional semiconductors to create the 60 Hz.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL