Re: Need a Variac

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

You're right about 99.99% of all garage sales. So you
gotta approach it like I do. Hit as many as you can
every Saturday. Eventually you'll hit the .01% that
isn't crap. I really lucked out on that one garage
sale. It was almost an estate sale, but the old fellow
was still alive. Probably headed for a nursing home.
The problem was that the family was letting the old
guy set the prices. The poor old guy didn't understand
that the concept of a garage sale is to get rid of
junk. But the twin ganged Powerstat for $20 was a
pretty good deal. It appeared that this guy was into
model planes and electronics. He had every room in the
house so full that you could barely enter. Old army
surplus stuff, old vacuum cleaner motors, MOT's, etc.
I must have spent several hours digging through the
crap, before I found the powerstat. He also had a BIG
battery charger, but didn't want to part with it. I
guess they rolled it with him to the nursing home.

I have seen several scopes at garage sales, but the
price wasn't quite right. I get a fair amount of
computer stuff at garage sales.

As to HamFests, I picked this puppy up for $20:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/transformer1.jpg

It weighs in at 80 pounds, and is probably 12" tall.

Adam