Re: Current Limiting and Impedance, DC Resonant Charging

Original poster: "Paul Benham" <paulb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,

> I have been warned to expect some serious trailing power arcs in the rotary > at less than 150 bps. Could this be do to previous core saturations? My goal > would be to run down to 100bps and chart the results up to 500bps as Burnett > has outlined in theory but I will be doing at a 50% higher voltage.

I have found that at low BPS the arcs suddenly change from the normal sound
to a sputtering sound when the rotary is running too slowly.  I think that
the extended dwell time on the rotary causes the current in the charging
reactor to ramp up too high discharging my power supply and maybe saturating
the charging inductor.  I am using capacitors in series with the
transformers to voltage double and this is seriously limiting my power
throughput.

Although a DC system allows you to use an ARSG without surging problems
there seems to be a limit on the BPS  range, too high and the capacitor does
not get charged in time, and too low and the current builds too high in the
charging reactor.

Cheers,

Paul.