Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 16:50 10/05/05 -0600, you wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance. Will you please define the following:
Ve & Ae,

Yes good point, I don't know what these are either :-/

Le & C (capacitance?),

Nor these

AL,

I do know this one though, it's the inductance of a single turn winding on the core in question. "Specific inductance" IIRC. Once you know AL for a core, you can calculate the inductance of any winding you make on the core by multiplying AL by the number of turns squared.

10555 nH (nano henries?),
mT (miliTesla's?),
and finally, Ui, Ue, and Ur.

Yup I'd like to know what Ui Ue and Ur are as well.

BTW I experimented with gapped MOTs a while back. As Mark mentioned, the Es and the Is are usually all stacked together and can easily be separated by two hacksaw cuts. I used trial and error, and ended up with an airgap of around 0.15" which gave an inductance of 32mH using the existing primary. (We have 240v line voltage in the UK, so our MOTs all have twice as many primary turns as American ones- hence four times the inductance- so this seems to agree with Mark's 8mH measurement)

I never tested the saturation current except to check that it wasn't saturating in the application, which was a DC resonant charging choke for the OLTC II, passing up to 12A peak and 5A average. So I guess a 120V MOT gapped would be good for twice that?

Steve Conner