Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I read all of your posts and what I'm thinking so far is this:
TIG welder filler rod is available in low carbon mild steel in 36" rods of 1/16" diam.,
soft iron coat hangers I have found are app. 30" long, once straightened out and app.between 1/16" and 3/32 diam. these are some "light duty" hangers I found that are thinner than standard ones, which are app. 1/8" diam.,
soft iron bailing wire is available in 500' reels for cheap and is less than 1/16" in diam.
It appears to me that the bailing wire is the best candidate in all regards, cost, soft iron, and diameter. With a diameter of less than 1/16", I would think the eddy currents would be minimal with each wire insulated from its neighbors. I can easily check the magnetism using some powerful neodym magnets I have on hand.

A very close friend of mine runs an automotive repair shop and he told me today that I can have all the dead alternators I want. He says most of them just have burned out diodes. I don't see that as a problem for this application.
Paul
Think Positive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 3:40 PM Subject: Re: Current Limiting and Impedence