Re: Cost of Silicon for DRSSTCs

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 20:57 08/05/05 -0600, you wrote:
Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would appreciate someone giving us a rough idea of the cost of IGBTs per
foot of streamer length.

Hi,

Four IRG4PF50WD devices from International Rectifier will make about 3ft and cost about $10 each. These are the ones Terry uses.

The next step up is four Fairchild HGT1N40N60A4D which will do about 5ft. These are the popular "Miniblocks" that have been used by many coilers. I think they are about $25 each new but are a good deal cheaper on the surplus market now.

There are also larger brick IGBTs that cost about $200 each new but can be picked up surplus or used for a fraction of that. These big guys are good for 10ft+. No coiler actually buys them new as far as I know.

I once did a costing of a 7ft spark DRSSTC compared to a 7ft spark conventional coil and did not like the answer much. Terry once said that having a DRSSTC is like having the atom bomb, well it makes the Manhattan Project look cheap ;)

Steve Conner