From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Information and copyrights

 > Original poster: "Mercurus2000" <mercurus2000@xxxxxxx>
 >
 > I just checked my "Strange Stories from Electrical Experimenter Magazine
 > 1917-1919 by Lindsay books there is no "Used with permission" with the
 > reprint articles, it just gives the date for the original copyright and
 > dates of the Magazine articles and a "Reprinted by Lindsay Publications
Inc"
 > so there isn't gonna be a problem. Their book doesn't even have a
copyright
 > on it, but scanning that would be unethical, since you can still purchase
 > this book from them.
You might give Lindsay a call.  They might already have scanned images that
you could post.  You never know.
With scanning these, like I said, there are many Tesla
 > books I have with small articles from Electrical Experimenter with no
"Used
 > with permission" labels on any of them.
Just because someone prints something without attribution doesn't mean that
they haven't secured appropriate permissions.    There's also a fair amount
of "interpretation" when it comes to small excerpts (as in "fair use").

I recently discussed this with Tom Lindsay ("Lindsay"). As many of you know, Lindsay previously published a couple of books that were selected excerpts from Electrical Experimenter Magazine:
"The Very Best from the Electrical Experimenter, 1916-17" and)
"Strange Stories from the Electrical Experimenter Magazine, 1917-1919"

Unfortunately, Lindsay currently views the market as being quite thin for most of this material. As a result it doesn't sell very well, and he doesn't plan on republishing more articles at this time.

Fortunately, the copyrights have indeed expired on the original material so there's nothing preventing these articles from being recompiled and republished or being provided as images or PDF's on a web site.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print