Re: Terry's DRSSTC 6000 BPS testing

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

On 7 May 2005, at 18:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Jimmy,
>
> At 12:03 PM 5/7/2005, you wrote:
> >
> >So you could get 20% more with 25 300uS bursts at 6000bps than 300bps
> >at 500uS?
>
> Yes.
>

> >Where'd you come up with those numbers to start with?
>
> The coil does not produce longer streamers in the normal mode past
> ~300uS for T1.  They just get hotter.  More than about 15 breaks does
> not seem to increase streamer length either.  So I was just going off
> past experience and guessing where to look.
>
> >It's hard to
> >compare the numbers on a "Freau Number" basis, because you're only
> >doing a single burst pretty much.
>
> In the good ol' days, energy was easy since it was fixed by the
> primary capacitance and voltage.  The DRSSTC can add energy during the
> pulse.  At 6000 BPS, we also have left over energy from the last
> bang...  So the concept of bang energy has gotten very hard to define
> let alone measure now....

It should be possible to calculate the total energy per bang from the
scope waveforms shouldn't it? As a starting point, for a disruptive
coil we could measure how much energy was actually transferred from
the primary cap to the secondary by taking the energy difference
between two successive beats as a percentage and extrapolating
backwards, knowing of course the original capacitance and firing
voltage. I'd be surprised if something similar could not be done in
this new case.

Malcolm