Re: Terry's DRSSTC 6000 BPS testing

Hi Jimmy,

At 12:03 PM 5/7/2005, you wrote:

So you could get 20% more with 25 300uS bursts at 6000bps than 300bps at 500uS?

Yes.

Where'd you come up with those numbers to start with?

The coil does not produce longer streamers in the normal mode past ~300uS for T1. They just get hotter. More than about 15 breaks does not seem to increase streamer length either. So I was just going off past experience and guessing where to look.

It's hard to
compare the numbers on a "Freau Number" basis, because you're only
doing a single burst pretty much.

In the good ol' days, energy was easy since it was fixed by the primary capacitance and voltage. The DRSSTC can add energy during the pulse. At 6000 BPS, we also have left over energy from the last bang... So the concept of bang energy has gotten very hard to define let alone measure now....

I guess the best way to compare it
would be spark length/peak IGBT temp. At 4ms, it might sink quite a
bit of heat into the case, but I don't know if it'd still be better to
go with one big bang, or possibly a few bigger bangs.

? But everyone uses different IGBTs... Mine are just 1/4 inch on a side (die).

What IGBTs are you using? I tried to come up with a thermal time
constant for IRG4PC40W TO-247 IGBTs (ones I'm using) from the
'transient thermal impedance' chart. I came up with a little over a
mS, but it's tough to tell, because different points on the linear
portion of the curve still give different numbers. If the time
constant is ~1mS, then maybe the best is 1000 peak bps, with larger
bangs.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/irg4pf50wd.pdf

> At 05:25 AM 5/7/2005, Steve Conner wrote:
>
> >>The 6000 PBS burst mode seemed to produce roughly 20% longer arcs than
> >>the standard mode.
> >
> >At a cost of how much extra power consumption though? In other words what
> >was the "Freau Number" (spark length divided by square root power
> >consumption) for your coil in 6k bps pulse mode compared to say standard
> >200 bps?
> >
> >I would bet that it is less efficient (lower Freau number) at 6k than at
> >200, otherwise our theories on streamer growth are all wrong.
>
> The average time energy was far less since there is a 1 second pause
> between bursts.  It is difficult to know the actual burst energy since they
> are not discrete burst but rather a train of bursts joined together.  I am
> sure it can be figured out, but I have not worked it.

Try measuring the electrolytic voltage before and after.

I think we need to work out some way to deal with how we compare power... Many things affect this in the DRSSTC. Maybe Kill-a-watt meters but not everyone runs off 120VAC at less than 15 amps... I think Steve Ward and I have both run at about 200 primary amps but his streamers are longer due to the coils configuration and element values...

Cheers,

        Terry