Re: No Terry filter

Hi Gerry,

At 04:17 PM 5/2/2005, you wrote:
Hi David,

If you could answer the following questions, I might be able to help you:

1. Designed targets for Ballast inductance (mH, line current, and operating voltage 120,140,240,280).

It was some king of transformer. I think Dave rewound and removed some core from. Look really nice!! But hard "facts" about it are zero...

2. Number of ballast turns, cross sectional area core, winding length top to bottom.
3. Core geometry with dimensions, and lamination geometry.

You getting into that transformer stuff aren't you ;-)) I don't know any details....

4. Measured line current when failed.

There was an ammeter in poor shape but who looks at those things while the sparks are going ;-))

5. Variac output voltage when failed.
6. Cp value.
7. Type and make of capacitor and its Vdc, Ipeak, Irms, and voltage reversal ratings.

Homemade rolled poly... Value unknown to me...

 8.  String length and number of strings in parallel (Cp array).
 9.  How were the safety gaps set?

The 1.5KVA pole pig (Dave got his at the same time you got yours from the "guy") had a gap that fired a LOT... Seemed like things were not happy...

10. Was the TC tuned at low variac voltages? Was the SRSG adjusted at low variac voltages?

I played with it to try to tune it to the best sparks in real time....

11.  TC primary inductance (from JAVATC or equivalent).
12.  Where in the cycle were you firing at when the failure occured.
13.  Do you have a scope with HV probes??

Nope.... Dave has a nice multi gap coil with like 1.5 inch copper pipe. We simply tried my big spark gap in place of it and tried to adjust the dwell......

I think the system was just not at all optimized for SRSGs.... Everything seemed all wrong....

Dave is not into all the technical crap like us... His coil works cool!!! But without knowing a bunch of data, it is hard to go changing things for the better...

Cheers,

        Terry

Gerry R.

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

A couple weeks ago I tried substituting my static gap with a SRSG with not so good results, safety gap fired as much as the main gap , and, took out a cap. This was after much adjusting,...my coil just didnt like it,....any ideas ??( My coil is powered by a single bushing 1.5kva pig with a homemaded gapped inductive ballast)