Re: broken secondary

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At 20:19 02/05/05 -0600, you wrote:
Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

When winding the secondary, what do you do in the event that your secondary
breaks?

For an average coil I would just solder the broken ends together carefully and keep on winding. If I was trying to get ultimate performance (or a really nice looking coil) I would scrap it and start again with fresh wire.

I like to use fine gauges of wire- the heaviest I've ever used is 0.4mm which is 28awg I think?- so I don't do the thing other posters have described where you file the wire ends to make them lap together perfectly.

Two of my coils have crossovers and repairs in the secondary and they seem to perform OK but I have never tried pushing them to 3x the secondary length. I was once playing with a SSTC when it flashed over and burnt completely through the secondary wire. There was about 1/4" length of wire missing. Rather than scrap the secondary I just unwound a couple of turns, soldered the wire back together and the coil was working fine again.

Steve Conner