Re: Terry's DRSSTC - 6000 BPS >:o)

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At 15:34 02/05/05 -0600, you wrote:
Original poster: Jimmy Hynes <jphynes@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

What is the point of this? Why don't you just have a longer on time,
and a reasonable bps?

That's what I just said :-P

If you take it to an extreme, and split the bang in enough pieces,
it's basically PWM, which is essentially lower peak power.

I agree. That's how the current limiter on my PLL driver works- if the current gets too high it PWM's the drive by missing out cycles. So it's just the same idea of splitting the bang into pieces. I thought this would work better than just ending the bang at the first overcurrent event. It should put more power into a mismatched load like a ground arc.

Here is a scope screenshot of the limiter under test at low power

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/driver2/111_1168.html

You can see three places where it decided to miss a cycle. It will miss more or fewer as needed to keep the current to the level you set on the limit pot.

I got my new H-bridge more or less finished too. It'll soon be time to crash'n'burn! I know, I forgot the heatsink compound so it all has to come apart again.

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/build4/

Steve Conner