Re: Russian high-voltage installation (being scrapped?)

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/2/2005 11:01:48 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: Grishka <ghome@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>some words about these hv units - there`re some marx-generators in Snt
>Petersburg (Leningrad, you know :-) The huge unit "kondensator" is
>really a hv capacitor. As the sign says:
>
>"200 MKF    5 kV NOM  7.5 kV ISP"
>
>it`s 200 microfarad, 5 kv nominal voltage, 7.5 kv - tested voltage.
>
>There are lots of such capacitors there - in 70`s years in was a high
>voltage laboratory. Nowadays it has no fences, no guard - everyone
>could enter there & take everything you want. It`s a pity - but those
>photos says the true situaton in our research projects...
>
>If you have any difficulties in translation those signs - you may
>ask me one more time ;)

Does anyone else recall a show on Discovery Channel (or one like it), discussing the possibility of the Soviets running Tesla Coils? While my memory is vague on this, I recall some Canadian ham radio operators complaining that some frequencies were no longer usable because of interference, and they showed the signal coming across pretty clearly on an oscilloscope.

I have a faint memory that there were three sites eventually triangulated, all in the western portion of the USSR. Because this was pre Soviet collapse no investigation was possible.

If this doesn't ring any bells I can go look up an article I did that mentioned this and get more details. I'm just wondering if anyone knows offhand.

    Thanks,

    Dave Small