Re: Kaluza and Klein

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,
          There is an alternative hypothesis to consider......

On 31 Mar 2005, at 13:05, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> Kaluza and Kline's work is a little above me:  [:-)  But Einstein
> spent a few years on it so I think it has not gone under reported...
>
> http://www.matter-antimatter.com/kaluza-klein_theory.htm
>
> But it appears to only be really useful in say super high
> gravitational fields or at super high relative speeds approaching that
> of light.  In those cases, it should help predict the effects of
> relativity and distortions of measurements made outside of that
> (relative) gravity or speed.
>
> However, the gravity here is about 1.0 and pretty steady.  The speed
> at which my coils travel relative to say surrounding test equipment is
> far less than a meter/hour...  The coils with heavy transformers
> travel even slower :o))  I can adjust for the speed of light in fiber
> optic cables if needed.  But so far, a 15nS delay has not been a
> problem.
>
> Perhaps if there were a Tesla coil on say the space station and it
> were being monitored from earth, such effects might "begin" to be
> noticeable (The GPS system certainly does have to fiddle with
> relativistic effects!).  But they are not of concern to the average
> coiler.  I certainly would not discount any measurements or regard all
> measurments as useless due to relativistic effects.
>

> I think the real bottom line is if I measure a coil's Fo at 100kHz and
> some theory says it should be 123kHz...  Well, I would be happy to
> push the cal/check button a few times and have a few other folks
> repeat the test independently to be sure there is not a testing error,
> but if the measurement and the theory just do not agree, I think the
> "theory" is the problem.

     In the case of the Q vs VSWR thing there are indications that
the methods used to measure coil Q at the time were highly suspect
leading to far lower figures than should have been obtained. I recall
(if memory serves) reading that in at least one case a scope was
connected directly to the top of a coil - an absolute no-no as
everyone on this list is or should be aware.
     I don't think relativity has a thing to do with resonator
operation; finite light speed yes, but that's it.

Malcolm

Relativity theory is neat, but I don't think