Re: TOPLOAD (TOROID)

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

Ben,

It all depends on the design of the coil. The coil may be in tune when tapped at turn # 2 for instance or maybe turn # 14. If the primary capacitor was chosen so that the coil can be tuned say at turn # 12 with a small toroid, then a larger toroid is installed, you may not have enough primary turns left to tune at the new lower frequency. Most folks either calculate or estimate the amount of capacitance of the toroid then plug that number into the calculations.

You need to just select a particular set of design criteria and build it. I like the 14 turn primary, both of mine are about that size. Both of my coils have been through innumerable design changes. Once I got them fired up, I have ended up changing just about everything except the primary and secondary coils themselves. Larger power supplies, larger toroids, larger primary capacitors, different spark gaps, etc. You will too, it is just part of the experimentation process.

Ed Sonderman