Re: TOPLOAD (TOROID)

Hi Ben,

At 02:42 PM 3/29/2005, you wrote:
Hello folks. I have another question.

To match the capacitance obtained from the software's online (for the
toroid), can I just purchase any size aluminum duct from Lowe's or Home
Depot (say 4"x8' piece or 3"x8' piece)? Or do you I have to physically
measure the capacitance of my toroid once it's been constructed?

Usually you tell the program what dimensions your toroid "is" and it goes from there. If you are trying to make a toroid to be a specific capacitance, then it is tricky but possible.

I always make toroids that "look right" compared to everyone else's coils. If the toroid "looks" too big or too small, I tend to have problems...

Correct me if I am wrong but if the following is true, then it the statement above does not really matter:

The larger the capacitance on the topload (i.e., the larger the toroid),
the more turns I would need to tap to get the TC to tune?

Yes, The larger the toroid the higher its capacitance and the lower the secondary system's frequency becomes. To lower the frequency of the primary system to match, you add more turns to the primary coil.

The smaller the capacitance on the topload (i.e., the smaller the
toroid), the less turns I would need to tap to get the TC to tune?

Yes!

Since I have around 14.7 turns, the point of tap must occur on the 14th
turn or less.

Yes, best to leave room for minor adjustments ;-)

Cheers,

        Terry

Your comments and remarks will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ben Medina
Rolla, MO.