RE: SS Variac - Part II < IT WORKS W/ HV :^) >

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx

Steve, Terry All

I just finished running system for better then 15 minutes into a 5kV, 60mA
NST transformer,  I can (and will) provide pictures, voltages and currents.

I am supplying up to 105Vrms, at up to 2.5A measured into NST, sparking into
a horned spark gap (minature Jacob's Ladder). NO problems, no transformer
diode IGBT problems whatsoever. LP inductor running hot (ok put a 4"
muffin fan on the whole thing and say chuck it). My efficiency is not the
greatest, (I am passing through 2 isolation transformers, and are only
putting ~ 30Vrms on IGBT). But end to end is at least 75% and once controls
are fiinalized and powered by 120VAC, conduction lossses will drop on IGBT, due to operation at much higher Vce. Also I had NO EMI FILTERING AT ALL on the control stage, and it worked fine (no failures). NST are definitely strange
beasts looking at primary side, at least 3 "resonant" points were detected
as voltage was adjusted upward. IDK if that was LPF interaction with
NST , or luck of the draw.

So I guess I'm the first to use this on control on a HV transformer, it does
look EXTREMELY promising...   :^D

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA