Re: Getting to the limit with an NST powered SGTC

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 3/23/05 10:13:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Are they blue/white or purple?  Blue/white is good, purple is not so good.

I'm very curious now, what is a purple streamer telling us? I only see a bright blue or whitish color if the arc is hitting ground, otherwise my free air sparks are kind of a royal blue, bordering on purple. At least that's the way they photograph!

Dave Goodfellow

Dave,

Photographs tend to change the color sometimes.  I'm speaking of
how they look by eye.  But in any case yes, free air sparks are not
as blue/white as ground hits.  It's a matter of degree.  Brightness
is important too.  But the purple streamers seem to indicate a lack
of energy in the streamer.

Cheers,
John