8Hz secondaries... RE: Wireless transmission of power,

At 10:52 AM 3/17/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

This may be beside the point, but how the HECK do you build a secondary
to resonate at 8 Hertz?  What size topload?  Please give details beyond
"I hacked my secondary in half..."
This will be fun...
Let's see... say you've got a design that works at 30 kHz. YOu need to get to 8Hz, a ratio of about 4000. So, the LC product has to be bigger by 16 million. C is pretty hard to get, but I'd start by putting a ferrous core in the coil. Think a mu of 1000 is reasonable? Now we need to get a factor of 16,000. inductance goes as N^2. If I used 10 times as many turns, that's a factor of 100. Now we're down to 160. Time to start thinking about BIG capacitors.

As a practical matter, they build LC resonators for 60 Hz all the time (for HV testing, of all things).

Gary Lau
MA, USA