RE: Need Help With School Project

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

The material used to make plastic soda bottles is a poor choice for a
cap dielectric.  This is not because it cannot hold off the voltage, but
because it is a lossy dielectric.  This means it will heat up under high
frequency current, and melt, and then puncture.  Since the plastic is
thinner than glass, you'd get more capacitance per bottle, but it would
be short lived.  Glass is better, though nowhere near as good as
polypropylene.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The reference to salt water caps instigated this query. Can salt water
caps
> be built with 20 oz. plastic soft drink bottles instead of glass?
Would the