Re: RC filter

At 12:45 PM 3/8/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Sebastiaan Draaisma <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chiang Mai, den 8 mars 2005

Hello Gary,

My name is Sebastiaan and I read your message about rc filters in the pupman newsletter that I goth.

My questions are, how can I calculate the loss of power, coused by the rc filter and do I have to adjust the primary capacity based on this loss?

One could ballpark the power loss by just taking the RMS current from the neon sign transformer (30 mA? 60mA?) and using P=I^2*R

Assuming you have something like a 5K resistor in each leg, I calculate a dissipation just under 5W for each resistor, at 30 mA RMS.

Compared to the 450W or so you're getting out of the transformer, that's a pretty small amount, and can safely be neglected in calculating the primary capacitor size. (since capacitor tolerances are on the order of 15-20%..)

Best regards,

Sebastiaan Draaisma