From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 5:30 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 12kV / 60 ma Neon Sign Transformer

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

Hello all,

     I have not built a Tesla Coil in quite some time. However, if both of
my brain cells that are left remember correctly, one starts at the power
supply. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before, plenty of times!

     I do have a 12kV / 60 ma neon sign transformer and I had good luck
with copper tubing as a primary "last time".

     Now, what I need to determine (I believe) is the capacitance C to
store up current each 1/60th, the primary's L to determine resonant
frequency, and the secondary's L to make sure it's a 1/4 wave electrically
from the primary's L frequency.

     Does anyone happen to have software to do this? I have seen references
to some programs but am not finding them.

     Alternately, would someone be willing to give me the numbers to design
the coil with (e.g., "You're going to want 800 turns on the secondary,
Dave")?

     As I recall finding capacitors was always a joy :-( but I'll give it a
try. If nothing else, I can use aluminum foil in 14 x 14 and plate glass in
18 x 18.

     Again, any pointers to software, or existing designs, would be quite
nice. I too started with the 1964 "Two Tesla Designs" magazine articles.

     Thanks again,

     Dave Small