Re[2]: Terry filter

Original poster: Sebastiaan Draaisma <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chiang Mai, Monday, March 7, 2005

Posted by:
Posted on: Monday, March 7, 2005

Hello Terry,
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but I don't understand it.
Why would the voltage across the resistors be 120V if my NST provides 15KV?

The resistors I would like to buy have the following specs.
Power rating at 25 deg. celcius 280W
Overload power rating 10x power for 5 sec.
Resistance 5%
Limmiting element voltage 2000Vrms
Temperature coefficient 75ppm/deg. celcius
Operating temperature -55 to +450 deg. celcius

Best regards,
Sebastiaan Draaisma

Tesla> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla> Hi,

Tesla> Assuming your transformer puts out 120mA, the voltage across the resistors
Tesla> will be 120VAC which is well within their ratings. For 100W at 1000 ohms
Tesla> the RMS voltage is 316V at 0.316 amps. Under certain conditions it may see
Tesla> voltage spikes into the thousands of volts, but the long ceramic coated
Tesla> windings can take that fairly easily.

Tesla> Cheers,

Tesla>          Terry