To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: Spark length dependence on air pressure.

At 11:01 AM 6/28/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Robert Clark <bobbygc2001@xxxxxxxxx>

 Well, you don't need it to be the *easiest* altitude
to get breakdown, just some altitude where it is so
low you can get conduction over many kilometers.
 BTW, what is the pressure at which the lowest
breakdown voltage occurs? What is the altitude at
which this pressure is reached?

Roughly 100k ft or a bit higher, roughly 5-10 torr.
Called "critical pressure" in the spaceflight electronics business, not to be confused with "critical pressure" in respect of thermodynamics and phase changes.